Summary: Plans and administers medically prescribed physical therapy treatment for patients suffering from injuries, or muscle, nerve, joint and bone diseases, to restore function, relieve pain, and prevent disability by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Reviews physician's referral (prescription) and patient's condition and medical records to determine if physical therapy treatment is required.
- Tests and measures patient's strength, motor development, sensory perception, functional capacity, respiratory and circulatory efficiency, and records findings to develop or revise treatment programs.
- Plans and prepares written treatment program based on evaluation of patient data.
- Administers manual exercises to improve and maintain function.
- Instructs, motivates, and assists patient to perform various physical activities and in use of assistant and supportive devices such as crutches, canes, and prostheses.
- Administers treatments involving application of physical agents.
- Evaluates effects of treatment at various stages and adjusts treatments to achieve maximum benefit.
- Records treatment, response, and progress in patient's chart or enters information into computer.
- Instructs patient and family in treatment procedures to be continued at home.
- Evaluates, fits, and adjusts prosthetic and orthotic devices and recommends modification to Orthotist/Physician.
- Confers with health team members, individually and in conference to exchange, discuss, and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying and coordinating treatment programs.
- Orients, instructs, and directs work activities of assistants, and students.
- Plans and conducts lectures and training programs on physical therapy and related topics for medical staff, students, and community groups.
- Frequent daily travel and possible overnight travel required.
Oklahoma Physical Therapist license required