Summary: Specializes in diagnosis and treatment of speech and language problems, and engages in scientific study of human communication by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Diagnoses and evaluates speech and language skills as related to educational, medical, social, and psychological factors.
• Plans, directs, or conducts rehabilitative treatment programs to restore communicative efficiency of individuals with communication problems of organic and nonorganic etiology.
• Provides counseling and guidance and language development therapy to disabled individuals.
• Reviews individual file to obtain background information prior to evaluation to determine appropriate tests and to ensure that adequate information is available.
• Administers, scores, and interprets specialized hearing and speech tests.
• Develops and implements individualized plans for assigned clients to meet individual needs, interests, and abilities.
• Evaluates and monitors individuals.
• Reviews treatment plan, and assesses individual performance to modify, change, or write new programs.
• Maintains records as required by law, organization’s policy and administrative regulations.
• Attends meetings and conferences and participates in other activities to promote professional growth.
• Instructs individuals to monitor their own speech and provides ways to practice new skills.
• Frequent daily travel and possible overnight travel required.
Speech Therapist license required