Summary: Assists Occupational Therapist in administering occupational therapy program in the home setting or related facility for physically, developmentally, mentally or emotionally disabled clients by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Assists in evaluation of patient’s daily living skills and capacities to determine extent of abilities and limitations.
• Assists in planning and implementing educational, vocational, and recreational programs and activities established by registered Occupational Therapist, designed to restore, reinforce, and enhance task performances, diminish or correct pathology, and to promote and maintain health and self-sufficiency.
• Designs and adapts equipment and working and living environment.
• Fabricates splints and other assistive devices.
• Reports information and observations to supervisor.
• Assists in instructing patient and family in home programs as well as care and use of adaptive equipment.
• Prepares work materials, assists in maintenance of equipment, and orders supplies.
• Maintains observed information in client records and prepares reports.
• Assists in administering situational or diagnostic tests to measure client's abilities or progress.
• Confers with health team members, individually and in conference to exchange, discuss and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying and coordinating treatment programs.
• Frequent daily travel and possible overnight travel required.
Associate's degree (A. A.) as an Occupational Therapy Assistant from a two-year college or technical school. One year experience as a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant preferred. One year experience in home health setting preferred.